Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Mummers Suck

I am a hater of parades in general because I don't see the point. I have a particular displeasure with the Mummers. People bitch about the Mummers threatening to not having enough funding and that the city should pay for. A few of these people never bother to attend the parade and the cost is extreme. "As of 2008, the parade cost the city over $1 million each year, including $750,000 for police and parade services and $360,000 in prize money. The 2008 budget crisis has led the city to propose closing numerous libraries and firehouses and the scaling back of expenditures for the parade, offering $300,000 for the 2009 parade and nothing for 2010." Nothing sounds about right. The people who wan this parade to continue can pony up the money themselves, the tax payer should not be responsible. I implore parade watchers to tune into the Parade of Roses on TV for their parade fix and to watch college football. I understand the Mummers go way back, but to me its a bunch of fairies prancing around. I approve of the parade's existence so long as it does not tax the locals. If the Mummers want to continue to do what they enjoy its time to pay to play.

No comments:

Post a Comment